A pub crawl
A pub crawl to celebrate the first day of a smoking ban in England starting on Sunday 1st July 2007.
Our plan was to go to the Pembury Tavern, along the 277 bus route, but there has been a rule change.
We are starting at the Grapes at 3pm. The Grapes is in Narrow Street in Limehouse, and from then can crawl (row, steam, paddle?) the Palm Tree along the Regent's Canal. From there we plan to end up at the Pembury Tavern for something to eat. Aim to arrive at the Pembury around 7pm, or before last food orders at 9pm. Other pubs on the putative route can be found below.
The group visited these pubs:
- The Grapes
- The Oporto
- The Palm Tree
- The Approach Tavern
- The Pembury Tavern
- The Railway Tavern
Details of pubs on the route
- The Grapes (on the banks of the Thames) from 15:00 to 15:50
- The Five Bells and Blade Bone aka 5B Urban Bar at 27 Three Colt Street, E14 8HH
- The Wenthworth Arms near Mile End Station
- The Palm Tree by the Regents Canal in Mile End Park from 17:00 to 18:00
- Pubs on Victoria Park
- The Dolphin Mare Street, Hackney
- The Pembury Tavern from 19:00 onwards
I thought we might Walk It. The 277 bus route acts as rough guide to the route. Starting from E14 8BP, stopping at E3 5BH and ending at E8 1JH. The first leg could be a canalside walk, along the Regent's Canal, if go directly from The Grapes to the Palm Tree. The Palm Tree is close to Victoria Park and hence the 277 route.
London 2012 Olympics site to be shut down on Monday 2nd July.